Are rubber plants toxic to cats, is a query that would worry, if you grow a rubber plant indoors but are concerned for your cat’s safety. These plants are poisonous to cats but have recently become more well-liked among gardeners due to their broad and lush green leaves.Are Rubber Plants Toxic to Cats

Read the article below to understand better these plants and the harm they can do.

Are Rubber Plants Toxic If Cats Eat Them?

Yes, rubber plants are toxic if cats eat them because the milky sap of Ficus elastica contains caoutchouc, an active component that seriously harms the cats. It can occasionally cause allergies, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, a loss of appetite, and mouth or gut irritation.

Almost all rubber plants are poisonous to cats. These plants have a lot of varieties, each with physiological variations such as more compact growth, larger leaf structures, and variations in colors and patterns.

They have been bred from the Indian rubber tree and are popular houseplants now, and almost all of them are toxic for felines. In the same way, if you are worried, are baby rubber plants toxic to cats, you should know that the baby ones are not toxic, but as they grow and produce excessive sap, they would start to develop.

– Toxic Sap

The cause of rubber plant poisoning is the plants’ sap. These plants are toxic because they release poisons to prevent being consumed. When the leaves are harmed, the plants’ sap is released. All species of Ficus include the sap, sometimes called plant latex.Toxic Sap of Rubber Plants

When cats consume high amounts of latex, it can have a hazardous impact on their health, and this is due to a single bite from the sap. The good news is that latex is difficult for the body to absorb, so it’s unlikely that even a small bit of the plant will cause poisoning in your cat.

But, your cat may exhibit more serious symptoms if it consumes much of the plant or has a latex allergy. Rubber plant toxic is the least hazardous of the four categories regarding human safety. On the other hand, the toxicity effects on people and animals differ significantly; if you are wondering are rubber plants toxic to humans as they may cause skin irritation if left on the skin.

What Are the Signs of Rubber Plant Toxicity in Cats?

The signs of toxicity in cats include diminished appetite, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and skin sensitivity. You might wonder what would happen if your cat ate a rubber plant. If your cat consumes this plant, then your lips and digestive tract may become irritated.

If the sap encounters the cat’s skin, it may cause skin irritation. Luckily, they are generally not lethal and are not as highly toxic as other plant species, especially if only a tiny amount is consumed.

Some cats have latex allergies, making them more vulnerable to the plant’s toxic effects. Possible indications of a cat’s latex allergy include sneezing, skin rashes, hives, moist eyes, and trouble breathing. Several Ficus plants, including F. elastica, contain a milky, bothersome sap in the stems and leaves that can cause stomach problems if consumed, which is why the reaction for this issue would be through vomiting and feeling unhealthy.

How to Manage if Your Cat Has Consumed the Rubber Plant?

If your cat has consumed the rubber plants, to manage, you should immediately head to your veterinarian or the nearest poison control facility. Pets are unaware of the harm eating the plants will do them. The earlier you start treating, the better their chance of recovering.

– Consult a Veterinarian

The physical examination of your pet, the current symptoms, and your observation will all help with the treatment, and they will also determine how big the amount of the sap consumed is in order to take the right measures.Consulting Veterinarian When Cat Eats Rubber Plants

To find out potential causes, you should properly inform your veterinarian about your pet’s recent behavior and interaction with the plants. In addition to this, it is also best to let your vet know how many plants your pet consumed if you saw it eating.

– Get Physical Examination

You should get a sample of the plants your pet has consumed. To determine if your cat has been poisoned, your veterinarian will likely examine it physically and perform certain tests. Also, they could administer IV fluids to prevent dehydration and oxygen therapy to assist your cat’s breathing. There are different ways that the physician can examine, and also different approaches they would take, depending on the quantity of the sap and also which organ it was subjected to, the skin or fur of the pet of it digested.

– Keep an Eye Out

In some circumstances, your cat may require surgery to remove the plant from its digestive tract by your veterinarian. Your cat should recover fully after receiving treatment. They will examine their symptoms and first rinse the toxin from their mouth.

Nonetheless, monitoring them and looking out for any recurring symptoms is crucial. It’s critical to return them to the vet immediately if you observe any changes in their health.

How to Prevent Your Cat From Touching the Plant?

You can prevent your cat from touching the plant by keeping cat-friendly chewing vegetation around, such as catnip, grass, basil, mint, and cat thyme, in many ways. Arrange your plants so that the non-toxic ones are in front and the poisonous ones are in the back.Preventing Cat From Touching Rubber Plant

– Use Sensitive Smell Deterrents

Use coffee grounds, as cats despise the smell of coffee, and the cat can be deterred with the chilly powder as well. Lemon juice can also be diluted and sprayed on the plant to deter the notoriously mischievous animal. Another option for deterring cats from these plants is to grow peppermint there, and you can also use the smell of the substance and the animal would be irritated by the smell.

Also, cats detest the overpowering scent of citrus fruits like lemon, orange, and others since they make them want to run away as soon as they smell them.

If you are also concerned and asking are ruby rubber plants toxic to cats, you must know that the Ruby F. elastica rubber plants are toxic to cats. This way, you can go ahead and place the essential oils around these types of trees as well. Cats who consume or come into contact with the sap may get severe skin irritation as they become poisoned, so if you place some citrus fruit around it, or the essential oil on cotton balls and place it near the tree, you will keep your cat away from being harmed.

– Keep All Rubber Plants Away

The rubber plant is known as Ficus elastic and is included in the list of toxic plants. They are also known as rubber figs, trees, and bushes. These flowering plants are grown in Southeast Asia. Although some plants can grow tall when fully grown, they are still relatively common indoor plants.Keeping Rubber Plants Away from Cats

There are many different rubber plant kinds, but we’ve included a list of the most frequently kept as houseplants is a plant type that has large glossy leaves with a burgundy-bronze tint on the stems. This type is well-liked for its capacity to clean and filter indoor air. It develops in high-humidity forest areas of its natural habitat by utilizing the nutrients offered by tree litter and the typical tropical environment. These small perennial plants fall under a distinct category and are safe for cats to consume.

African Prince is another type that comes from the appearance of its dark green leaves, and this type requires a lot of direct, intense sunlight to thrive, but when it is, it will produce a lot of sap, and this would be poisonous to your cat, and make sure that you have the right measures takes, so it wouldn’t be hurt.

Peperomia obtusifolia belongs to a vast genus with over a thousand species and numerous cultivars. They are also known as the American rubber plant and pepper face plant. This is a perennial flowering epiphyte plant that is native to South America that your pet cat should stay away from; you can distinguish it from the features are green to white blooms and leathery, glossy cupped leaves.

You might ask, “Are burgundy rubber plants toxic to cats?” The answer is that it is only mildly toxic to cats if ingested. The signs of toxicity include diarrhea, vomiting, and drooling. They are popular because they are low-maintenance however should be kept away from the plants.


The thick oval leaves of the rubber plant can be a tremendous attraction to your cats, so it is always suggested to be aware of its hazardous side. Read the points mentioned below to understand it:

  • Rubber plants are extremely dangerous to cats. If your cat consumes a rubber plant, you should contact your veterinarian because it is poisonous to cats.
  • These plants have the potential to seriously irritate the skin, mouth, and even the digestive system.
  • It would be best to prevent your cat from eating these lethal plants.
  • Make sure that you know the different types of rubber plants so that you would keep your cat away from them as cats frequently want to chew and taste everything around them.

Thus, preventative measures are usually preferable to seeking medical attention so you can live peacefully with safety and proper instruction.

5/5 - (19 votes)
Evergreen Seeds