Blue dragon fruit exists, though you may not easily find them around you as they are rare. Rich in antioxidants, the dragon fruit is a native of South America and South East Asia, and commonly comes in other colors such as pink, white, red, and even yellow.
If you are trying to find more information about this particular dragon fruit then this article will be a perfect read for you.
Our experts not only delve deeper into dragon fruit varieties that you would come across but also give you detailed insights into their taste and texture, so read on ahead.
- Is Blue Dragon Fruit Real?
- Nutritional Facts of the Fruit
- The Benefits of the Blue Dragon Fruit
- Drawbacks the Fruit
- Varieties Similar to Blue Dragon Fruit
Is Blue Dragon Fruit Real?
Yes, Blue dragon fruit is a reality rather than a myth apart from the regular white, yellow, pink or red. However, this blue fruit is technically unripe and may not be well appreciated for consumption, being rich in antioxidants and is a great boost to the digestive system and immunity.
– The Origin
The blue fruit plant also known as the pitahaya is native to Central America and Southern Mexico. It is also cultivated in South, East and Southeast Asia and also in the United States, Australia and the Caribbean. The fruit thrives well and produces a bounty in tropical and subtropical climatic conditions.
– The Color
This interesting blue variant of the fruit comes with a mild pink outer covering and a blue flesh or a color close to a deep purple shade. An unripe blue version of this fruit will turn pink, red, or yellow on ripening. Avoid getting confused with similar deep-colored varieties that may come closer to the blue variant of the fruit such as Haley’s Comet or Physical Graffiti.
The almost blue or darker blue shade is indicative of higher nutrient content. So if you find a fruit with flesh almost close to a shade of blue or purple, you can be sure of encountering a very powerful taste, loaded with antioxidants and one that is extremely beneficial to health.
– Ways to Eat It
If you find a dragon fruit which has blue or green fresh, then be sure that it is not yet ripe. Hence may not be very good for consumption as it lacks any flavor. It will taste rather sour or bland and cannot be appreciated.
It is simple to eat the fruit and you can cut it in quarters after peeling the skin or scoop out the flesh using a spoon. The fruit can even be stored in plastic bags and kept in freezers for up to three months and then can be used in preparations of smoothies or desserts.
Blue pigmented dragon fruit could also be mixed in a bowl with other fruits such as Blueberries, kiwi, and strawberries in the form of a summer salad or even get blended in a smoothy.
You could easily tell if your dragon fruit is ripe or not by looking at the outer skin and the flesh within as well. Unripe dragon fruit will be green and the skin changes to either red dragon fruit or yellow dragon fruit as it ripens.
You will notice the outer skin to be evenly colored which is a clear sign that it is indeed time to cut the fruit. Fruit with green flesh within indicates that it has not ripened completely and is therefore not edible.
Nutritional Facts of the Fruit
Apart from being a superfood rich in vitamin C, fiber, probiotics, and antioxidants, blue fruit is rich in fiber. It has minerals such as carotenoids, lycopene, and magnesium. The antioxidants present help in protecting the cell from damage and fight against ailments. Overall fruit is low in calories and high in nutrition with several benefits for the human body.
– Rich in Fiber
The fruit is full of fiber which makes it a perfect snack at any time of the day, it keeps you feeling full longer and also aids in digestion. This means that you can snack on it without any guilt as it perfectly satisfies an appetite at any time of the day. Now that gives you enough reason to consume the fruit without worrying too much.
– Loaded With Antioxidants
It is rich in antioxidants such as betacyanins that prevent cell damage. It helps to fight cancer and heart diseases, thereby keeping you healthy for long life. Antioxidants are extremely important to the body and the best thing about the fruit is that the darker the fruit the more are antioxidants.
– Controls Blood Sugar
For those suffering from type two diabetes, fruit is beneficial in regulating sugar levels, because it is not rich in fructose, the sugar found in fruit.
Overall, it helps the pancreas to grow, which releases insulin and ensures any elevated levels of glucose is under control. Moreover, as you consume this fruit, it will be easier because it will be in control your blood sugar.
– Provides Iron
The fruit is also rich in iron which makes it excellent for the immune system. It boosts hemoglobin or the red blood cells that are found in the blood and aids in producing red blood cells, which helps the body to fight all kinds of infections, thus a boost will keep you healthy and going.
Various scientific studies have shown that dragon fruit possesses antiinflammatory properties beneficial in several conditions. It can be effective to manage conditions such as gout, arthritis, joint pains, and immobility. It can reduce soreness and relaxes muscles, strains, and swelling.
The Benefits of the Blue Dragon Fruit
The darker the shade of the dragon fruit the more the flavor as well as the nutritional element and hence it is preferred in smoothies, fruit salads or cocktails.
What is striking about the blue variant of the fruit is the color of its flesh which could range from shades of blue to dark purple with the characteristic black seeds of the fruit. Find below the benefits that are loaded with this fruit.
– Nutrients Galore
As mentioned earlier it is loaded with vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, zinc, potassium and phosphorus, along with a bit of copper and calcium. This keeps the body active for everyday functions and prevents strokes and diseases.
– Protects the Digestive Tract
Suffering from digestion-related problems? Then it is time to consider the blue dragon fruit. It is a natural prebiotic that protects the digestive tract from infections. It naturally inhibits the growth of good bacteria that helps to fight back diarrhea and other diseases.
– Keeps the Heart Healthy
The fruit lowers cholesterol levels and regulates blood pressure, improving the health of the heart. It keeps the heart rate balanced thereby reducing the risk of a heart attack. Keeping in mind that it will boost your red blood cells, which are the ones that get pumped by your hart, as they are healthy, your heart will be also.
– Good for the Skin and Hair
The antioxidants also make the fruit good for the skin and hair. It heals wounds, slows the aging process, and also treats acne. The dark pulp of the blue fruit serves as a natural dye apart from enhancing the growth of hair. Your hair will feel smooth to the touch. The pulp of the fruit also heals wounds due to its healing property.
Drawbacks the Fruit
Much as all dragon fruits are safe to be consumed and the blue-colored dragon is no exception to this, if one develops any sort of allergic reaction then it is recommended to stop consuming it immediately, However, there haven’t been numerous cases reported of these allergies, it is a rare case. Such allergies may manifest in the form of hives, swollen lips or tongue, tingling or itchiness in the mouth, wheezing, nausea or vomiting.
Varieties Similar to Blue Dragon Fruit
The dark magenta varieties may often be confused with the blue-colored fruit. These variants have a striking dark magenta flesh that may often almost look blue and are sweet and mild with a crunchy taste.
- Makisupa: This type of fruit with its striking magenta flesh comes with a sweet and sour flavor. The color can be quite a delight and the sweet taste is truly delectable. It is a delight to see it when cut open.
- American Beauty: This pink pulped variety has a sweet taste This has Pink pulp with a wonderfully sweet taste, a flavor which is a mix of kiwi and pear.
- Delight: A large fruit, the texture is smooth and the flavor is mildly sweet. Each of these fruits can weigh around half a kilogram.
- Dark Star: This is A long and thin variety with a sour grape-like taste. You will find the flesh to be a darker shade of pink, tending towards purple.
- Cosmic Charlie: This type has a classic mix of flavors of the grape and the kiwi.
- Purple Haze: With vibrant pink flesh, the seeds are lesser in this and it bears a tangy grape-like taste.
- Voodoo Child: This is A small variety with a sweet and sour grape-like flavor.
– Where To Find Blue Dragon Fruit?
Blue dragon fruit can be hard to find as it is not widely circulated in stores and markets. Much as the dragon fruit can be found all over the world including Florida and California, however, explicitly finding the blue variety can be a challenge and you would need some luck to get such fruit in your hand.
You can still grow them in your garden if you get the right source of seeds and the process as well as the results, can be quite rewarding.
– What Is the Rarest Dragon Fruit?
The rarest dragon fruit is the dark-colored purple ones, generally similar to the blue dragon. The flesh is dark colored and it tastes sweeter than the white-fleshed ones. It is called the Tyalgum Purple Dragon Fruit and comes with creamy white flowers and fruits sized like a cricket ball.
– Which Is the Best Tasting Dragon Fruit?
The taste and flavor of the dragon fruit greatly depend on the color of the flesh. The darker the flesh, the more powerful the taste. Thus, you will find the lighter white and light pink-fleshed ones to be mildly sweet or rather have an almost bland taste, in comparison to the darker, more sweet fleshed ones. The sweeter ones generally are those with striking and dark flesh.
You have now understood what the blue-colored dragon fruit is all about and also how there are several other colors of the fruit that exist.
Let us summarize our learning about this delightful fruit in the below section.
- The blue color of dragon fruit is rare and a hard-to-find variety. It may either be with a bluish tinge or an almost deep purple color.
- Due to its dark color, it is very nutritious with a powerful flavor. Rich in antioxidants it is a superfood with vitamin C fiber and probiotics. It is not widely circulated thus finding one can be a matter of luck.
- Among the best benefits of the fruit are that it is rich in fiber, controls blood sugar, provides iron, protects the digestive tract, keeps the heart healthy, and is also anti-inflammatory.
- You can tell if your dragon fruit is ripe or not by looking at its outer skin and the flesh within. If the outer skin is evenly colored you can be sure that it has ripened. A green outer skin or flesh is unripe and sour when consumed.
- The magenta varieties such as Makisupa, Dark Star, Cosmic Charlie, and Purple Haze are similar to the blue fruit and can often be confused with it.
Now that you know that the blue variety exists, along with the other different flavors and tastes of the dragon fruit, you can easily identify one the next time you spot it. Now, go ahead and scout for them in marketplaces and make those cocktails and smoothies with exotic varieties loaded with health and taste.
- Are ZZ Plants Toxic to Cats? Know How This Poses a Risk - January 20, 2023
- Can Spider Plants Live Outside: Grow the Plant Outdoors - January 20, 2023
- Can Pothos Live Outside? Quick Guide To Outdoor Gardening - January 20, 2023